Friday, July 2, 2010

Thirty...the start of my 4th decade

Well, my dreaded 30th birthday came and went without a mental breakdown, so I think I'm doing pretty good. I had been mourning this day since my 29th birthday and tried to think of something awesome to do on that day so I would have something to look forward to. However, I'm poor and couldn't think of anything that didn't cost at least a thousand dollars. So I just went to work instead and was pleasantly surprised. I had a present waiting on me (something I had been looking for) and lots of messages from my co-workers. I also got cake, the best part about a birthday. My boss took us out to lunch. So all-in-all, a pretty good day filled with silliness and jokes. Then on my way home, I glance over at my friend's house and she had put out a huge birthday sign for me. I got to spend the evening at Bible study and dinner with more friends, one of whom shares a birthday with me (he's three years younger though). So I was pleasantly surprised that I didn't have an utterly horrible day. And SURPRISE...the world didn't come to an end because I turned 30!
I've been stuck on this kick for a while that I hadn't done what I planned on doing before turning 30. Then suddenly I realized that I was looking at it wrong. Maybe I hadn't carried out my original plans but I have done so much more. I married a wonderful, sweet person whose family I love. I maintained friendships with my oldest friends and developed new ones. I actually figured out what I want to do with my life...which is a massive deal for me. Maybe the things that I had planned 10 years ago aren't so relevant anymore. And maybe some of them will be best achieved in this decade, as an older and more responsible person. Either way, I'm okay with turning 30.
Forty, however, my be another story...but I've got ten years to work on that issue.

No comments:

Post a Comment