Friday, July 9, 2010

Mandy & Julie & Julia

I've heard some mixed reviews about the movie Julie & Julia but I had to see it for myself. And I am so glad that I did. I have to begin by saying that I have a great respect for Meryl Streep, as any God-fearing, movie-loving American should. She's amazing in every thing she does. And I honestly did not know much about Julia Child until I watched this movie. As I did, I knew that I was one of the many people that this movie was specifically made for. I had no idea that I had anything in common with that lady and that I would grow to love her so much within 2 hours.
It was perfect timing for me to see that movie. Anyone that knows me know that I am a major foodie. I look forward to each meal and only cease to eat when I am entirely stuffed and cannot move. The only thing I think about when I'm planning to meet friends is what we will eat. And not just the dessert, like most women, but mainly the carbs. The bread, the pasta, the potatoes. I'm getting hungry just thinking about it. Anyway, I love food so watching a whole movie about food is heaven. This movie is also based around a woman (a writer) turning 30 and choosing to do something instead of sitting by idly. Hello?!?! Just passed the big 3-0 birthday and survived.
The biggest part of this movie that really got me was Julia's relationship with her husband and the non-existence of children in their lives. They had such an amazing, rich relationship that seemed to grow through the years. And watching her crying over her sister's news of being pregnant was like looking through a mirror. That has happened to me so many times I can't even count them. Of course, I have no sister, but I have so many close friends that I've watched get pregnant and have babies and then get pregnant again and have babies again while I sit aside and pray for the day that I can experience the same.
But for now I will enjoy my life with my wonderfully, sweet, handsome husband and not feel sorry for myself...like Julia would do. And we will continue adopting because Keith & I can give a wonderful home to a child or two or three or four. And I will continue to cook and eat as much as possible because it's fun. And I think I will read "My Life in France" for some Julia Child inspiration and for some writing inspiration. Because my plan for not sitting idly by is to continue in the amazing life I have, with a few minor additions.

1 comment:

  1. Ok, I finally did it. I watched Julie&Julia and now I want the cookbooks, the books and I want to cook that amazing beef bourguingnon!

    ReplyDelete