Thursday, September 2, 2010

Revelation of the Day

I was researching some stuff today for the adoption process that we have been looking into and slowing creeping toward and found something interesting. I found a website for adoption funding (www.cafaadopt.org) that had some great stuff on it. I found an article called "Should Christians Fund Adoptions?" Now I didn't read it because I wanted someone to fund my adoption (would be nice...) but it caught my attention. Here's a little of what I found there.
God speaks of taking care of orphans and widows throughout the Old Testament.
Psalm 10:14 - God is the helper of the orphans
Psalm 10:18 - God will vindicate the orphan and oppressed
Deuteronomy 27:19 - "Cursed is the man who withholds justice from the fatherless"

Then the author, B. Alan Keener, goes on to bring up a New Testament verse, just to show that the command continues throughout the new law. James 1:27 says, "Pure and undefiled religion in the sight of God our Father is this: to care for orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself unstained by the world." I have heard this verse used countless times to show that we should take care of our widows. I have heard it used a couple of times by the sponsors from the Children's Home. But I have never really looked at that verse as it being a direct command to care for orphans, as well as widows. My husband and his friend have talked about this verse a lot in the last few months and I still never thought about it like that. I think maybe God was trying to get me to see that all along.
I have always wanted to adopt, because my mother is adopted, and I love the idea of helping someone by showing them a loving, God-fearing home, when they may never get that otherwise. But now I feel more compelled than ever to do so. I feel that we should get our butts in gear and get this going. We have questions about finances because it is incredibly expensive. But I know that the money will find its way somehow, as long as we focus on what's important.

No comments:

Post a Comment